About the KVR Bird Website
The Kickapoo Valley Reserve bird website was funded through the Kickapoo Valley Reforestation Fund, a bequest by Ralph E. Nuzum to the University of Wisconsin Foundation. The grant included a 2007 breeding bird survey in the Kickapoo Valley Reserve (KVR), the 2008 Birds of the Kickapoo Valley Reserve brochure, and a bird habitat suitability index assessment of the KVR (Summer 2009). Principle investigator for this grant was Dr. David Drake, Department of Wildlife Ecology at the University of Wisconsin.
Bird descriptions and information for each species were compiled and cross-referenced from the following field guides:
- The Sibley Field Guide to Birds of Eastern North America, David Sibley, Alfred A. Knopf Inc. Publisher, New York, 2000
- The National Audubon Society Field Guide to North American Birds: Eastern Region, John L. Bull, John Farrand, National Audubon Society. Alfred A. Knopf Inc. Publisher, New York, 1977
- Peterson Field Guides, Eastern Birds (4th Edition), Roger Tory Peterson, Hougton Mifflin Company, Boston, 1980
- National Geographic Field Guide to the Birds of North America, National Geographic Society, Washington, D.C., 1999
- Atlas of the Breeding Birds of Wisconsin, Noel J. Cutright, Betty R. Harriman, and Robert W. Howe, editors, Wisconsin Society for Ornithology, 2006
- Wisconsin Birdlife, Sam Robbins Jr., University of Wisconsin Press, 1991
Information was also gathered from these online sources:
- The Birds of North America Online, Poole, A. (Editor). Cornell Laboratory of Ornithology, Ithaca, NY, 2005
- All About Birds, Laboratory of Ornithology, Cornell University, Ithaca, NY
The Cornell Lab of Ornithology's Macaulay library provided the audio files of bird species calls and songs.
The bird species of the Kickapoo Valley Reserve are based on data from previous surveys (1997, 1998, and 2008). Field data was collected by Barbara Duerksen, Eric Epstein, Darrel Covell, and Robert Ruff. Many additional recent observation have been made by various individuals. None have been more vigilant in pointing out omissions than Jay Roth-Reynolds.
Species information and photographs for the website were compiled and entered by Barbara Duerksen and Ben Johnston. Barbara Duerksen and Eric Epstein provided local information on species abundance and frequency. Jay Roth-Reynolds and Patricia Reynolds previewed the website for typos and other such corrections.
Photographs of bird species were kindly donated for use on this website by the following photographers: Jack Bartholmai, Erik Bruhnke, Gwyn Calvetti, Seth Cutright, Dave Freriks, Dan Jackson, Dennis Kuecherer, Richard Phalin, Tom Schultz, Kerry Sehloff, Chris West, and Brian Wolf.
All photographs used for the website are copyrighted material and may not be used without permission of the photographer. However, photos may be used for educational and non-profit purposes, assuming proper credit to the photographer is given. Please notify the Kickapoo Valley Reserve of use of a photograph in any publication or website.
Technical website support was provided by State of Wisconsin Department of Administration staff, Shari Hillery and Eric Madsen.