A Unique Place from All Vantage Points
The Kickapoo Valley Reserve is an 8,600-acre tract of public land located between the villages of La Farge and Ontario in southwestern Wisconsin. Its history, resources, administration, and recreational diversity make it unique - a place like no other.
We invite you to come and see for yourself the many wonders of the Kickapoo Valley Reserve. Here, sandstone outcroppings tower over the Kickapoo River as you paddle its quiet waters while native plants and animals abound in all seasons. Whether you'd like to join us for a scheduled interpretive hike, adventure into the back-country on your own, or simply stop and admire the beauty, the Kickapoo Valley Reserve welcomes you!
INFORMATION AT A GLANCE
VISITOR CENTER HOURS:
Monday thru Saturday 8am-4:30pm
Closed Sundays & Holidays
- SEASONAL TRAIL CLOSURE: Equestrian and bike trails, including Old Hwy 131 Trail, are closed. Reopening May 1st weather permitting.
- HIKING/SNOWSHOEING: OPEN - Walk on the ungroomed edge of ski trails. Trails are icy. Cleats or foot chains advised.
- CROSS COUNTRY SKI TRAILS: Ski trails groomed 1/27/23, with track set in most places. Grooming of ski trails is normally done when temperatures are 28 degrees and lower.
- FAT TIRE BIKE TRAILS: CLOSED Map and policies
- CAMPING: OPEN with winter parking cautions. Campers must register online prior to setting up.
- PARKING: Maintained winter parking areas: KVR Visitor Center, Star Valley, Double Gates at Old 131 Trail and County Road P, KVR Maintenance Building, Bridge 14, Potts Corners. See our map for day parking locations. Keep vehicles on solid surfaces.
- KICKAPOO RIVER: River ice is unpredictable - stay clear of river ice. Check current river levels- Ontario & La Farge gauging station.
- HUNTING & FISHING: The KVR property is OPEN for public hunting & fishing in accordance with State seasons & licensing requirements. Hunters take note: School Zone boundary - Click here.
- E-BIKES: Learn more about E-bikes and the KVR
*Please subscribe to NIXLE notification system for local weather warnings and other emergency alerts. Free to subscribe, opt out at any time.
Pack out ALL Trash!
Updated 1/27/23 3:30pm