A Unique Place from All Vantage Points
The Kickapoo Valley Reserve is an 8,600-acre tract of public land located between the villages of La Farge and Ontario in southwestern Wisconsin. Its history, resources, administration, and recreational diversity make it unique - a place like no other.
We invite you to come and see for yourself the many wonders of the Kickapoo Valley Reserve. Here, sandstone outcroppings tower over the Kickapoo River as you paddle its quiet waters while native plants and animals abound in all seasons. Whether you'd like to join us for a scheduled interpretive hike, adventure into the back-country on your own, or simply stop and admire the beauty, the Kickapoo Valley Reserve welcomes you!
Donate to the Discover Center Upgrade
The Kickapoo Valley Reserve monitors and follows the most current CDC, WI DHS and local health officials’ guidance regarding Covid 19. The Visitor Center is open to the public with the following guidelines: All employees are required to wear a face covering when indoors, regardless of vaccine status. Members of the public are strongly encouraged to wear a covering indoors and are required to wear a face covering indoors, if not fully vaccinated.
INFORMATION AT A GLANCE
Day Use or Annual Pass Required. Purchase online in advance.
Become a Friends of KVR Member, which includes your 2022 Annual Pass.
- VISITOR CENTER: Open Monday thru Saturday 8am-4:30pm; masks required for unvaccinated visitors & strongly encouraged for all.
- LOCAL WEATHER: Click here to view Visitor Center Weather Station
- HUNTING & FISHING: The KVR property is OPEN for public hunting & fishing in accordance with State seasons & licensing requirements. Hunters take note: Change in hunting perimeter. Click here.
- CROSS COUNTRY SKI TRAILS: OPEN. Trails have been groomed with base layer packed, but no track set.
- HORSE/BIKE TRAILS: CLOSED for the season.
- CAMPING: OPEN. Sites are first come, first served. Campsites D1, D2, D3, D4 are open to self contained camping units only - no tent camping.
- KICKAPOO RIVER: River is reported passable from Landing 1 (Ontario) to Landing 20 (La Farge). Check current river levels prior to paddling- Ontario and LaFarge gauging station.
*Please subscribe to NIXLE notification system for local weather warnings and other emergency alerts. Free to subscribe, opt out at any time.
Pack out ALL Trash!